Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Superfoods!


I remember my Mom sending an email a couple years ago with a list of the top 20 superfoods. I set out to eat all 20 in one day. It was actually easier than I thought but I wouldn't recommend it because it made my stomach a little "soft" if you know what I mean. I think there are a lot more than 20 superfoods, but I will always remember this list because when I think about eating healthy, I often think about items on that list.

Since I started turning up the intensity in my training, I also turned up a notch my healthy eating. Today I had some healthy leftover options along with some things that my Mom gave me which I threw to together to form a pretty superfood lunch. I recently discovered some new foods that I enjoy such as leafy greens from Whole Foods. A worker there showed me a list of the top rated vegetables for nutrient density, so I've just been experimenting from the top of that list.

I threw all these ingredients together in a pan with coconut oil to make a stir-fry:

1) Leftover chicken I baked the night before with some spices.
2) organic red bell pepper
3) white onion
4) chopped up brussel sprouts
5) broccoli
6) mixed nutrient dense greens - Whole Foods has this bin with a bunch of chopped up kale,collard greens,swiss chard and others
7) water crest - this was rated as one of the most nutrient dense. It's kind of spicy like arugula
8) black walnuts my mom gets these at her farmers market. They are the best I've ever had!

When I was done I had a few blueberries which is another one on the superfood list. I bought them from Trader Joe's and it must be season or something because they were the largest ones I've ever eaten.

It sure was a superfood lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment